National Parks and Native Trails of the Dakotas with Black Hills Pow Wow
This bespoke, culturally-rich itinerary supports the growth of indigenous tribal tourism in the USA , developed in collaboration with local communities in the Dakotas, for an authentic, one-of-a-kind insight into Native American history and heart. Through the power of storytelling through passionate locals you’ll meet, you’ll leave enlightened by your visits to four reservations of the Dakotas, as well as National Parks and monuments to discover first-hand the stark and rich history and future of the people that call it home. Packed with meaningful travel experiences, this is a must-book itinerary supporting culture and heritage of our important Tribal Nations and offers the unique experience of joining in on a traditional Pow Wow in the Black Hills.
- 1 Welcome Reception (WR)
- 8 Breakfast (B)
- 4 Lunch (L)
- 1 Dinner (D)
- Chamberlain: The future of the Lakota Oyate "Lakota Nation" takes center stage as you Connect with Locals Marla C. Bull Bear, Executive Director of LYD, and the Rosebud tribal youth and members for a traditional storytelling, an original performance, a traditional meal during this Be My Guest Experience, and plant knowledge as you get a true taste of the prairie and everything Grandmother Earth has to offer. Learn about their mission to reclaim their language, culture, and spirituality and how this experience supports local youth.
- Pine Ridge Reservation: Learn the History of Wounded Knee as told by Warren Yellow Hair as you look upon where it happened. Listening to stories told from generation to generation will give you a perspective that cannot be gained from a history book but rather an authentic and emotional experience.
- New Town: Enjoy a guided tour of the Earth Lodges and see how the MHA people used to live. The tour is followed by the incredible opportunity to witness dancers and singers perform a cultural dance. The meaningfulness of each dance and song will leave you touched and with a deeper understanding of the culture of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara.
- Badlands National Park: Enjoy the spectacular sights as you make your way through Badlands Loop Road.
- Black Hills: Unlock the history of Crazy Horse Memorial. Learn how construction began in 1948 after Henry Standing Bear, a Lakota elder, commissioned Korczak Ziolkowski, who worked on construction of Mount Rushmore. While the original idea was to carve a face into rock like Mount Rushmore, the monument will ultimately have a full body and horse. There is no completion date yet, but the face of Crazy Horse was completed in 1998 at 87 feet 6 inches (26.7 m) high. Enhance your visit exploring The Indian Museum of North America that is also part of the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation.
- Chamberlain: The Dignity sculpture, a stunning combination of art and history. Specifically designed by sculptor Dale Lamphere to honor the cultures of the Lakota and Dakota people Dignity of Earth and Sky is a soaring sculpture of a native woman standing high on a bluff above the Missouri River.
- Pierre: You'll travel through and past the different indigenous communities and reservations in South Dakota.
- Theodore Roosevelt North Unit: Head to the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park this morning, the less frequented part of the National Park that should not be missed. The scenic drive starts at the bottom of the badlands and crawls up out of the canyon to the North Unit's most iconic view, River Bend Overlook. Unusual yet totally fascinating geological formations like the cannon ball concretions can be seen and a high chance of wildlife like Bison and bighorn sheep.
- Rapid City: Travel to the past from the present at the Oglala Lakota Living History Village and gain priceless insights into the culture and indigenous knowledge of Lakota Country.
- Pine Ridge Reservation: Enjoy a traditional box lunch prepared by a local Lakota family before your next activity.
- Black Hills: Enjoy an evening at the Black Hills Pow Wow, one of the premier American Indian cultural events in the United States, attracting hundreds of dancers, singers, artisans and several thousand spectators.
- Rosebud Reservation: Get an insider’s view from a Local Specialist at the Rosebud Indian Reservation, home to the Sicangu Lakota Oyate Nation, for a deeply meaningful MAKE TRAVEL MATTER®?Experience that intertwines Native culture and life while adding to their growing economy of tribal tourism.
- Rosebud Reservation: Enjoy a lunch of local foods from the Lakota Tribe at Turtle Crossing. After lunch you'll learn about Rosebud's food sovereignty projects, life on the reservation, and economic initiatives for the area from a community member involved in the projects.
- Rosebud Reservation: Enjoy a visit to Sinte Gleska University where you will be given a Star Knowledge Presentation by a Lakota elder, Victor Douville.
- New Town: You'll have the chance to browse arts and crafts from local community members in the gift shop. If you choose to purchase any art or craft pieces the proceeds will directly support the artisans of the community and help to raise awareness of what they do.
- : Explore Medora
- : See Dignity Statue, Sitting Bull & Sakakawea Monument
- : View Crow Flies High outlook
- : Visit Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Rosebud Indian Reservation, Standing Rock Indian Reservation, Fort Berthold Indian Reservation
- : Scenic Drive to Badlands Loop Road Drive, Mobridge
- : Explore Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Crazy Horse Memorial, Theodore Roosevelt National Park
- : Visit Indigenous communities and...
- Educational and Learning
- Festivals and Events
- National Parks and Preserves
Imagine unmissable experiences you've always dreamed of, getting to know the locals and having everything taken care of every step of the way.
Here's what you'll experience:
Must-sees to local secrets
Visiting bucket list sites are a highlight of traveling, however, traveling on your own can make them hard work. Don't queue with other sightseers for hours, with Trafalgar our experts unlock doors - think exclusive access to the Vatican out of hours or a...
|Welcome To Rapid City
|Exploring The Badlands National Park And Oglala Sioux Tribe Make Travel Matter
|Visit Mount Rushmore And Attend the Black Hill's Pow Wow
|Spend The Day With The Rosebud Sioux Tribe Make Travel Matter Connect with Locals
|Day Trip To Lakota Youth Development Connect with Locals
|Sitting Bull & Standing Rock Indian Reservation Connect with Locals Make Travel Matter
|Mandan, Hidatsa And Arikara Nation Make Travel Matter
|Theodore Roosevelt National Park Sightseeing Stays With Stories
|Farewell In Bismarck